at one end, which is decorated with in a close plain twined weave, and having two
three transverse rows of incised small triangles. three-strand braids, one near the bottom, the other
Probably from a comb. L. 97 mm.
near the mouth. The mouth is covered with a layer
of white felt kept in place by a double string 5• B : 7• Lower jaw-bone of a vulture.
wound round the felt. The handle consists of a
white woollen string knotted to the edge in two Grave 5 C.
places. The middle part of the handle is twisted
and inserted beneath the strings that keep the lid 5• C: 1. Fragm. of a wooden object of same
in place. There seems to have been a second handle kind as 5: I19-I24. Peg with oval
section, tapering towards one end, which has a step. made of a brown string fastened lower down. The basket contained a few remains of a dried-up mat- Wound round with coarse brown string near erial, which has been analyzed and found to con- middle part. Present L. 35 cm.
sist of millet porridge. H. 16 cm. Diam. about 12
cm. Pl. 14:5. Grave 5 D.
5. A : 7. Two cords of reddish brick-coloured 5. D: T. Cord of fine, glossy wool in reddish
wool, with which the mummy's hair cream colour. Folding and loose thread
was tied behind. L. 45.5 and 49 cm. Th. uneven, of one end preserved, the other end torn off. L.
2-7 mm. 90 cm. Th. of cord 9 mm. and of spun thread 2 mm.
5. A : 8. Sample of grains of wheat strewn over 5. D: 2. Small basket like No. 5. A : 6, rounded
mummy. bottom. Pattern consists of horizontal
5. A : 9. Sample of Ephedra twigs strewn over bands and rhombi arranged in oblique zig-zag rows.
mummy. H. II cm. Fig. 14:8.
5. A : io. Small dried-up pieces of animal's ( ?) 5• D : 3. Rear part of arrow-shaft made of reed,
hide. with remnants of three-winged fea-
thers. L. 27.5 cm.
5. A : 11. Seven cut-off tips of calves' ears (?).
5. D: 4-5. Two wooden arrow-shafts, each with two tufts of feathers. Decorated with
small incised triangles arranged in transverse and
Grave 5 B. longitudinal rows. L. 76 and 75 cm.
5. B: 1. Portions of loin-cloth with inserted 5• D: 6-7. Two fragm. of wooden arrow-shafts
fringes along the lower edge. Tapestry decorated with small incised triangles
woven in step pattern in dark reddish-brown wool arranged in transverse and spiral rows.
and undyed, light yellowish wool, partly dis-
coloured to light brown. Warp of same wool. Wool- 5• D: 8. Wooden pin, gently tapering, with
len yarn of fringe, wound firmly and 2-ply in loin- thickened cylindrical head cut in one
cloth, th. about 1 mm.; wound more loosely and
piece with it, and decorated with five transverse
4-ply in fringe, th. 3-4 mm. Warp: 4 threads to I bands, each consisting of two rows of small incised
cm. ; weft : about 16o threads to io cm. triangles. L. 175 mm.
Fringe fragmentary, consisting of two untwined 5. D: 9. One half of a wooden object: peg of
threads inserted round extreme warp threads of even breadth, a little thicker at the
lower edge laid together and twisted. L. of longest ends. One end bluntly pointed. Semicircular sect-
preserved thread of fringe 19.3 cm. W. of loin- ion, flat side a little hollowed out. Cf. 5. L: 4 and
cloth 6.8-7.6 cm. Pl. 13 : 4. others. 92X19 mm. Pl. 8 : 9.
5. B : 2. Fragm. from mantle of tight rep 5. D: io. Pair of wooden objects made to match:
weave of light brown wool, soft and two pegs of about semicircular section