5. D: 12. Two bunches of Ephedra twigs, each Grave 5 F.
tightly wound round with yellow wool, 5. F: 1. Small basket, neatly plaited; decorated
and joined together. The bigger bunch is also with oblique zig-zag bands, triangles
wound round with some red and dark-brown wool. and horizontal bands of grass. Besides there are
L. 14 and 15 cm. Pl. II : 6. two bands of three-strand braid. Has had a handle
5. D: 13-14. Two bunches of cut off Ephedra twigs, of brown woollen string inserted through the wall. tightly wound round with brown and Contained grains of wheat and dried-up millet
yellow wool. L. 17.5 and 15 cm. porridge. H. 14.5 cm. Diam. about 11 cm.
5. D: 15. Three bunches of Ephedra twigs 5. F:2-3. Two arrow-shafts of tamarisk twigs,
wound round a couple of times with each with two tufts of feathers. Some-
yellowish wool. what bent. L. 77 cm. -: 2 Pl. 7: 14.
5. F: 4-5. Rear parts of two arrow-shafts of
Grave 5 E. same kind as -: 2.
5. E: 1. Sample of mantle with fringe. Of
5. F : 6. Thin tamarisk twig. L. 70 cm.
brownish wool woven in weft rep. 3 5• F: 7. Wooden object representing the leg of
cm. at fringe edge double shoots of weft in more a hoofed beast; made in two halves to
open weave. 10.2 cm. inwards from edge of fringe match, which are bound with string in two places. and 17 cm. from selvage there are four shoots of A small bronze ring fastened in the wool wound
weft of red wool. • round near the hoof. Four transverse incisions
The fringe is made of wefts gathered in groups, just above the hoof. 25X3.4 cm. Pl. 8: 5.
tightly twisted together and fastened at the lower edge of the fabric. Loops at ends. Th. 3-5 mm.
Dist. between fringe ends 12-25 mm. Grave 5 G.
Selvage 13 mm. with two warps strengthened by a . 5, G: Small basket, neatly plaited, with the
thick cordlike edge made of groups of intertwined usual design of horizontal and zig-zag
wefts (cf. 5. A: 2). Th. of cord itself 7 mm. L. of bands laid on top of the ground work of plain
winding 8 mm. twined weave. Two bands of three-strand braid.
5. E : 2. Footwear from mummy. Made of raw- Has had a handle of string inserted through the
hide with the hair remaining, on the wall. H. 13 cm. Diam. about 9 cm. sole turned outside, otherwise inside. A thick twist-
5. G : 2. Fragm. of basket-work, probably from
ed brown cord, 115 cm. long, runs through a per-
foration in the front part. On middle of instep large, shallow tray-basket. Double
twined open-work. PI. 14: 3.
are remains of small plumage with red wool insert-
ed through the leather. A seam from opening to 5• G: 3. Long smooth peg in the form of a
sole on each side. L. of sole 31 cm. W. 13 cm., straight serpent with a spool-shaped
across heel 9 cm. Cf. No. 36:4. object in its mouth. The back of the serpent is
5. E 3. Wooden arrow-shaft with two tufts covered with small incised rhombi filled with red
colour, forming zig-zag bands. The flat belly has
of feathers. Painted red and decorated transverse lines, every second one with a row of
with transverse rows of small incised triangles. small pointed triangles filled with red. Just behind
Too crooked for effective use. L. 65 cm. Pl. 7: 11. the middle part a drilled hole. L. 69 cm. Diam. 1.1
5. E: 4. Rear part of arrow-shaft of same kind cm. L. of object in mouth 15 cm. Pl. 7: 9 and
as - : 3. Fig. 14: 3.
5. E : 5. Wooden object of same kind as 5. 5. G: 4. Fragm. of wooden arrow-shaft with
D: 10. The two halves tied together feathers attached to it with red wool.